Thursday, August 03, 2006

suburban firetruck decay















So, I've been observing this old fire truck for some time now. (I won't disclose the location). Positioned next to this white picket fence it evokes images that have circulated in American popular culture for years (the scene in David Lynch's Blue Velvet comes to mind most immediately). It almost looks as if it's been placed there with some aesthetic purpose, though I imagine that it was parked there out of necessity. The doors are welded shut, I think, so you have to peek through the windows at the inside. That's the old hose on the back there. It looks as if someone's had a few half-hearted goes at painting it up. I think that it's the colors--the various shades or red, grey and off-white which blend into the general rust color--that I like the most. I must go back and read the writing on the cabin door again to see which town or fire station it came from.

1 Comments:

Blogger phlegmfatale said...

This is really beautiful. Actually it reminds me of a nursery in Childress, Texas (almost to Amarillo as you drive from Dallas) where they have an ancient green pickup truck that is planted throughout with flowers and vining things. Sorta the way the vines were reclaiming your bicycles up there in the later photograph. I'm heading up to the panhandle in about a month or so, and I'll get some snaps of it when I do.

8/15/06, 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home