Wednesday, August 16, 2006

the Midway Motel: direct color TV in every room
















As promised, here are a few photos of the signage at the Midway Motel, Snelling's finest (well, only, I think) motel. The neon arrow is a real peach, especially when lit up at night. I must return after dark. The use of arrows is an interesting aspect of motel and other road signage, and serves the practical purpose of enticing weary drivers in from the road. The details that the signs offer about TV are really nice. Not only do the rooms have "DIRECT TV," they also have "COLOR TV," which was no doubt a plus back in the 1970s (color TV became widely available just about then, I believe). This sign would vie with the sign at the Turf Club (which I really must get out and photograph) as the best sign in the Snelling area. As the larger "MIDWAY MOTEL" sign indicates, there are currently vacancies at the Midway. I’ve never stayed there but having popped in to use the pop machine I can report that the workers there are really nice. I've seen the "No Vacancies" sign lit up several times in the past, usually when the state fair or the retro motor festival is on.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Signage is a particular obsession with me - love your photos.

8/16/06, 8:41 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Color TV - I still can't get over it. It must have been the EXACT same sign they had in '81.

8/17/06, 4:54 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Super cool! I especially love the arrow, too. I'd love one of those in my living room, actually.

8/17/06, 9:41 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

What do you suppose Direct TV means anyway?

8/19/06, 1:27 AM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

meg - I think direct tv is a pay-per-view system where you can order a particular film and the system queues it up for you immediately.
Oh, but as for the mod cons, you haven't lived until you've visited a scrubby little motel with the massage bed - you drop in a quarter and the thing jiggles you silly. A great scene of this type bed was in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" with John Candy. He leaves a 6 pack of beer on his jiggling bed, and the cans fairly exploded with all that jostling about. Golden.

8/19/06, 3:03 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Hi, Phlegmfatale,
John Candy on a jiggly bed sounds as bad as.... me on a jiggly bed. Have you ever tried these contraptions?

8/19/06, 1:59 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Well, those jiggly beds were in every motel in the 70s, and we made lots of road trips to California, so yeah, I've been on one for a mere moment. I'm sure they are good for the circulation after being cramped in a car, but they are kind of annoying and sickening in my opinion. Not my cup of tea.

8/28/06, 7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home