Friday, August 04, 2006

cycling is green: it's official















So, on the subject of odd little things in and around the neighborhood, I came across this the other day. I guess that someone must have left these two bicycles out behind their garage years ago. The weeds have grown through and around them so that now they're mostly covered in green. Like the fire truck that I discussed in a previous post (suburban-firetruck-decay) I like the general sense of decay here (a rusted piece of transportation that's been abandoned to the elements) and the subsequent emergence of something that's aesthetically arresting over time. The technology/nature theme is also interesting, of course. I see these little displays (I see them as displays even though that wasn't in all likelihood the initial intent here) as an unintentional suburban art form. I'd love to see other examples of this (that is, if and when folk start looking at my blog). I must go back later in the summer and see what the green bicycles look like then. But damn, we need some rain if those weeds are going to grow.

1 Comments:

Blogger phlegmfatale said...

perhaps you should be watering those weed to aid in their reclaimation of the bicycles.

8/15/06, 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home