Sunday, August 06, 2006

Stop . . . wet your whistle at Patrick's Lounge

So, here are some photos of Patrick's bar as promised. There's something about the building and its general milieu that I find intriguing. Like Ted's Bar up the road, which I discussed in a previous posting, it's to do with incongruity, I think. There it is nestled within the dull strip-mall architecture of Larpenteur Avenue. I've been in Patrick’s a lot and they seem to do a fairly good trade, though It's rarely what you would call "busy." The windows are particularly engaging. They look good at night when they're lit up, especially. The sign with the changeable text is always worth a look. They usually have something humorous up. The more that I think about it, signage (signs for businesses, billboards and so forth) are one of the most interesting aspects of the local area. I suppose it's the fact that the signs, unlike the buildings themselves, are in a constant process of change. There's a nice, old-fashioned phone booth in Patrick's that's worth a look (the sort that used to be seen in hotel lobbies) and there are some intriguing paintings in there also. One complaint, though: what happened to the old knight-suit near the back door? Anyways, go in there and have a Summit. They serve it in those wee tulip glasses. That's less than a pint but they fit nice and snug in your hand.









What sort of architecture is this? Was Patrick's Lounge a supper club back in the day? Do tell if you know. The wooden shingles and the color windows always remind me of confectionary (Hansel and Gretel?) and they also evoke a mildly church-like aesthetic. Here's a detail of one of the windows:









6 Comments:

Blogger . said...

Thanks Lori,
glad you like the photos/commentaries. Yo to Chicago... the el, the Lakeview Lounge.
n.n.

8/7/06, 4:46 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Cool pattern on the windows - actually, being no art historian or anything, I would think that odd greens/brown pattern shape is actually rather Moorish in origin. I like it. I like your blog, in general. You need to check out my Dallas Diorama, which celebrates the flavors of Dallas in the same way you celebrate your environment. I'll link you there if you'll link me here. We speak the same language!

8/14/06, 5:24 PM  
Blogger . said...

phlegmfatale,
thanks for all of your comments on my postings--I've just had a look at Dallas Diorama and love it. Yes, let's link each other up for sure. It's great to see someone with a similar interest in signage, neon and uncanny urban objects. Right, I'll link you up and then I'll have a longer look at Dallas Diorama.
nn.

8/14/06, 7:17 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Super! You're up, hon! I've got lots of stuff in the hopper for Dallas Diorama, but I've just switched to a Mac and I'm having a bit of a challenge figuring out how to edit photos. I'm shooting with a Canon Rebel XT I got a couple months ago - what are you shooting your great pics with? The spiderweb in the cab of the old truck was amazing - I figured you did long exposure there? Stunning.

8/15/06, 8:57 AM  
Blogger . said...

phlegmfatale: why, thanks--I'm using a Canon Powershot S70. No long exposure in those photos--I just got lucky, I think. I couldn't see into the truck either as it was too high (it's on a slope and the window is high). I just had to hold up the camera and shoot. The web is nice.

8/16/06, 11:36 AM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Coolness.

8/17/06, 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home