Sunday, August 06, 2006

"cleaned out my life" sale: the business of personal cleansing

So, I saw this little sign on Hamline Avenue between Larpenteur and Como the other day and its emphasis on the importance of possessions to one's life caught my attention. I can't help wondering about the whole notion of "life-cleaning." It seems that we are so thoroughly immersed in our possessions that to clean out the garage, loft, bedroom (or whatever) constitutes a personal cleansing, a sort of salvation for the good consumer-subject.

2 Comments:

Blogger phlegmfatale said...

This reminds me of the guy who sold everything in his apartment several years ago on ebay including bags of flour, coffee, etc., as an "art" project. His seller name was mylifeforsale

8/14/06, 5:26 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I'm keeping my husband and my new camera, and this lap top for now, but I need to do just this. I hate myself for being so seduced by commercials and consumerism.

8/17/06, 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home